On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am 04.07.2014 um 10:21 schrieb Mojca Miklavec
> <mojca.miklavec.li...@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> When placing figures side-by-side I usually use
>>
>> \placefigure[force][label]{}{\startcombination[2*1]
>> {\externalfigure[A]}{Some description of A}
>> {\externalfigure[B]}{Some description of B}
>> \stopcombination}
>>
>> But this time I would like to get two separate figures with two separate
>> titles:
>>
>>              [figure]                            [figure]
>> Figure 1.1: Long description of A   Figure 1.2: Long description of B
>>
>> with those long descriptions being "justified" (they split in multiple
>> line already), not centered.
>>
>> What is the best way to achieve that?
>
> Use the floatcombination environment.
>
> \useMPlibrary[dum]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startplacefigure[location=nonumber]
>         \startfloatcombination%[width=\textwidth,distance=0pt]
>                 \startplacefigure[title={Some description of A}]
>                         %\externalfigure[A][width=4cm]
>
> \framed[frame=off,offset=none,width=.5\textwidth]{\externalfigure[A][width=4cm]}
>                 \stopplacefigure
>                 \startplacefigure[title={Some description of B}]
>                         %\externalfigure[B][width=4cm]
>
> \framed[frame=off,offset=none,width=.5\textwidth]{\externalfigure[B][width=4cm]}
>                 \stopplacefigure
>         \stopfloatcombination
> \stopplacefigure
>
> \stoptext

Thank you, but there are some serious problems with the layout. I
managed to find some very dirty workaround, so I can get the desired
effect, but nonetheless:

- titles are wider than the figure, so titles from left and right
overlap; what I ended up doing was

\framed[frame=off,offset=none,width=.2\textwidth]{\externalfigure[cow][width=.4\textwidth]}

- titles are of different length (and have a different number of
lines), so I need to manually add \crlf in one of the titles to
achieve equal height and proper alignment;

- width=... and distance=... are weird; once I set some width,
distance only shifts the right figure outside of the page margin

Mojca