Am 04.07.2014 um 17:31 schrieb Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.li...@gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Wolfgang Schuster
> <schuster.wolfg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am 04.07.2014 um 10:21 schrieb Mojca Miklavec
>> <mojca.miklavec.li...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> When placing figures side-by-side I usually use
>>>
>>> \placefigure[force][label]{}{\startcombination[2*1]
>>> {\externalfigure[A]}{Some description of A}
>>> {\externalfigure[B]}{Some description of B}
>>> \stopcombination}
>>>
>>> But this time I would like to get two separate figures with two separate
>>> titles:
>>>
>>>             [figure]                            [figure]
>>> Figure 1.1: Long description of A   Figure 1.2: Long description of B
>>>
>>> with those long descriptions being "justified" (they split in multiple
>>> line already), not centered.
>>>
>>> What is the best way to achieve that?
>>
>> Use the floatcombination environment.
>>
>> \useMPlibrary[dum]
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startplacefigure[location=nonumber]
>>        \startfloatcombination%[width=\textwidth,distance=0pt]
>>                \startplacefigure[title={Some description of A}]
>>                        %\externalfigure[A][width=4cm]
>>
>> \framed[frame=off,offset=none,width=.5\textwidth]{\externalfigure[A][width=4cm]}
>>                \stopplacefigure
>>                \startplacefigure[title={Some description of B}]
>>                        %\externalfigure[B][width=4cm]
>>
>> \framed[frame=off,offset=none,width=.5\textwidth]{\externalfigure[B][width=4cm]}
>>                \stopplacefigure
>>        \stopfloatcombination
>> \stopplacefigure
>>
>> \stoptext
>
> Thank you, but there are some serious problems with the layout. I
> managed to find some very dirty workaround, so I can get the desired
> effect, but nonetheless:
>
> - titles are wider than the figure, so titles from left and right
> overlap; what I ended up doing was
>
> \framed[frame=off,offset=none,width=.2\textwidth]{\externalfigure[cow][width=.4\textwidth]}
>
> - titles are of different length (and have a different number of
> lines), so I need to manually add \crlf in one of the titles to
> achieve equal height and proper alignment;
>
> - width=... and distance=... are weird; once I set some width,
> distance only shifts the right figure outside of the page margin

The caption can be forced to the same width as the image with the \setupcaption
command,
the vertical alignment of the images/text can be controlled with the location
key but you have
to ensure both images have the same height.

\useMPlibrary[dum]

\starttext

\startplacefigure[location=nonumber]
        \setupcaption[figure][width=max]
        \startfloatcombination[location=top]
                \startplacefigure[title={Some description of A which spans
multiple lines}]
                        \externalfigure[A][width=4cm]

%\framed[frame=off,offset=none,width=.5\textwidth]{\externalfigure[A][width=4cm]}
                \stopplacefigure
                \startplacefigure[title={Some description of B}]
                        \externalfigure[B][width=4cm]

%\framed[frame=off,offset=none,width=.5\textwidth]{\externalfigure[B][width=4cm]}
                \stopplacefigure
        \stopfloatcombination
\stopplacefigure

\stoptext