On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 00:45:32 +0100, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

-- could such behaviour be achieved presently with some clever trick?

 \showstruts
 \setuppagenumbering[style=\bfd\setcharstrut{0123456789}\strut,strut=no]
 - no default strut
- calculate one based on to-be-used-characters (tight case)
- apply that one

 compare it with
 \setuppagenumbering[style=\bfd\setstrut\strut]

thanks a lot. that indeed fixes it.

 And then wikify it

can do. although things are not yet 100% clear to me (not much to be found in the documentation). so is this right:

-- I guess `\setstrut\strut' does set the strut to the maximum height of all the glyphs in the used font? the explanation in 4.6 of the ref. manual is not really telling me how the box height in the example comes about (i.e. what the mentioned `maximal height' actually is).

-- `\setcharstrut{0123456789}': the command seems to be completely undocumented (I could not find it in wiki and ref. manual), but it seems clear what it does. except what do you mean by "tight case" here?

-- why is it necessary to state `strut=no' to switch of the default on top of setting the strut explicitly?

joerg