Just in case it is of interest (and assuming this won’t change in future
versions), after digging again in lua code I replaced
nodes.handlers.characters(head) with

local proc = nodes.tasks.actions('processors') -- not sure finalizers tasks are
needed ?
head = proc(head)

before passing returned head to linebreak:

local vbox, info = tex.linebreak(head, {})

node.write(vbox)

and it shows kern in ouput, apparently identical to vanilla typesetting.

Joseph