On 2/4/2016 9:27 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
On 02/03/2016 02:18 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
On 2/2/2016 12:28 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
Dear list,
[...]
Hyphenation is wrong with fonts that don’t come with the ConTeXt
distribution. TeX Gyre Pagella is hyphenated right, but MinionPro or
even TeX Gyre Pagella Math are wrong hyphenated.

I’m afraid it may be a bug. Could anyone confirm it?

to what extend hyphenation is supported depends on the interaction
between ligature building / kerning / trickery and possible hyohenation
points; the font handler tries to do its best

Many thanks for your reply, Hans.

I reported the issue in the opposite way it happens:

     \definefontfamily[mainface][rm][MinionPro]
     \definefontfamily[anotherface][rm][TeX Gyre Pagella]
     \setupbodyfont[mainface]

     \starttext
     \startTEXpage[offset=1em]
     \hyphenatedword{LibreOffice libre office}

     \setupbodyfont[anotherface]%
     \hyphenatedword{LibreOffice libre office}
     \stopTEXpage
     \stoptext

The ff-ligature prevents hyphenation with TeX Gyre Pagella, but not with
MinionPro. (This is the opposite of what I reported before.)

it depends on the complexity of the ligature .. ff is not so much an issue but you can have ff + i = ffi etc and we need to deal with kerning too (it depends a bit on how the opentype features are applied and we can handle quite some weird ligature implementations)

the latest mechanism in context can deal with quite some situations but at some point has to make decisions (in order not to loose for instance kerns; double chained ligatures would result in way more overhead and is not worth the trouble)

one might wonder if we never had these f[fil] ligatures of if ancient technology had provides hundreds of them combining upto 4 characters etc etc.