well after incrementally deleting most everything from my document I now seem to have a reproducible example:

8<--------------------------------------------
\definesynonyms[MySymbol][MySymbols][\meaning]
   \MySymbol [whaever] {this} {  means }

\starttext
\startformula
x = \left ( 1 + 2 \right )
\stopformula
\stoptext

the apparent "culprit" is the presence of the `\definesynonyms' stuff. without it the rest (identical to your minimal example) compiles. with it it does not... remember that I am really unexperienced with `context': at the time (2 years ago), when I first tried this, it worked. I now realize (after reading up on the `definesynonyms' syntax again ...) that in the definition a _command_ has to go into the third bracket. seemingly at the time I was just putting a placeholder `\meaning' there (never attempting to use it as a command acting on the explanatory text for that symbol definition but only wanting a glossary.

the strange thing (for me) is that this worked just fine two years ago, now it does produce a very strange error as described. question is why.

but replacing `\meaning' by `\infull' suffices to restore sane behaviour.

while I understand, that I did something stupid (putting a non-existent command `\meaning' in the definition), I would have presumed that this might trigger an error at that place rather than making `\left (' suddenly an undefined control sequence. any explanation what is going on here would be greatly appreciated.