On Thu, 23 Mar 2017, Hans Hagen wrote:

On 3/8/2017 2:45 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
On Tue, 7 Mar 2017, Hans Hagen wrote:

\MEAN[delimiter=auto] expands to \left\langle .. \right\langle
\MEAN[delimiter=]     expands to \langle .. \rangle
\MEAN[delimiter=big]  expands to \big\langle  ... \big\rangle
\MEAN[delimiter=Big]  expands to \Big\langle  ... \Big\rangle
\MEAN[delimiter=bigg] expands to \bigg\langle ... \bigg\rangle
\MEAN[delimiter=Bigg] expands to \Bigg\langle ... \Bigg\rangle

I am not sure whether `delimiter` is the best key. I think that
`scale`
may be better, but using `scale` for specifying the scaling of math
delimiters will be inconsistent with how `scale` is used everywhere
else. Another option is to use `alternative` key.

it would be something factor=2 or so, not the funny XxXxxxXX kind of
flags

Sure. factor=(auto|none|1|2|3|4) is also ok (and would be directly
mapped to choosemathbig).

actually we will hook into a new feature of luatex for specifying the size of delimiters (so no vbox hack) .. factors are multipliers of bodyfontsize

\definemathfence [MEAN] [angle] [command=yes, color=blue, factor=2.5]

\starttext
\startTEXpage \startformula
    \MEAN[factor=1]{\sum_{i = 1}^n A_i x_i }
    \hbox{ vs. }
    \MEAN{ \sum_{i = 1}^n A_i x_i }
    \hbox{ vs. }
    \bigg\langle \sum_{i=1}^n A_i x_i \bigg\rangle
\stopformula \stopTEXpage
\stoptext

Thanks.

If I understand the code correctly (sorry, haven't tested it yet),

factor=, factor=none, and factor=auto all behave the same (all insert \normalleft ... \normalright)

I think that it may be more consistent if factor= and factor=none do not scale the delimited at all. To maintain backward compatibility, the default value of factor can be set to auto.

Also what values of factor give scaling equal to \big, \Big, \bigg, and \Bigg?

Aditya