On 04/01/2017 05:32 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> On 2017-04-01 00:10, Todd DeVries wrote:
>> Thanks for your assistance.  Was unaware of using the setupheads
>> command incorrectly.  Good information to have.  I am still not
>> able to produce an automatic period (.) at the end of the section
>> title using the after keyword.  is this correct?
>
> Seems to be. While before= is honored, after= is not. This looks like an
> inconsistency that can be addressed.

Hi Todd,

this will give the output you like:

    \setuppapersize[letter]
    \setuptagging[state=start]
    \setuphead[subsection][style=\bf, number=no, commandafter={.~},
         textdistance=0cm, alternative=text]
    \starttext
    \startsubsection[title=First Subsection]
    \input knuth
    \stopsubsection
    \stoptext

>>> alternative=text is working, but \startparagraph is starting a
>>> new paragraph after the heading.  \start\stopparagraph is not
>>> happy with the text alternative.
>> I am wondering if this is just not going to work with the tagging
>> subsystem.  The subsection aligns if I remove the start/stop
>> paragraph following the heading.  But if I add a second paragraph
>> in that subsection it breaks again.
>
> Example, please. I have no problem adding a start/stopparagraph after
> your knuth. (Note that the knuth has to be terminated in a \par or a
> blank line. That is because of the construction of that input file.)

Add a sample, otherwise we might speculate about what you’re aiming at.

Tagging PDFs the way you seem to be trying might be impossible. Here is
my sample:

    \setuppapersize[letter]
    \setuptagging[state=start]
    \starttext
    \startsubsection[title=First Subsection]
    \startparagraph a\stopparagraph
    \startparagraph b\stopparagraph
    \startparagraph c\stopparagraph
    \stopsubsection
    \stoptext

Both paragraphs and headings are block elements (I have just checked it
at
https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/pdf/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf#page=585).
Block elements cannot contain other block elements inside.

Displaying block elements as inline elements, if not contradictory,
might be misleading, at least.

>> I use tagged pdfs for output
>> because they are more accessible with my screen reader.  Without
>> tagging, all one gets is long blocks of undifferentiated text.
>> With the correct tags, paragraphs, headings, lists, and tables
>> get created that make more sense with auditory output.  To my
>> knowledge, ConTeXt is the only alternative for producing
>> accessible pdfs beyond working with Acrobat pro or MS.  Word.
>> After writing a 70-page academic project in Word, I'm seeking
>> alternatives!

This is an issue about text structure. We speak of block elements
because they have vertical space between them (even if set to none).

>> Perhaps one can just use in-paragraph bolding and mark that text
>> for the table of contents as an alternative.  This is required
>> for heading level 3 content in APA style.
>
> For now that might be best as long as you do not need to reference them
> in a table of contents (not required by APA, as I read the standard,
> although perhaps an added requirement from your publisher).

It seems that H3 should be a block element, not an inline element inside
P (according to most XML implementations, I’d say).

Why do you need in-line titles?

But I may be missing something, correct me if I’m wrong.

Sorry for the bad news,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk