On 9/28/2017 9:30 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:

On 28 Sep 2017, at 19:12, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl <mailto:pra...@wxs.nl>> wrote:
[…]
files in the tex tree (styles and such) are not accessible (protected) as you don't want them to get messed up

Sure, but my problem is that I have a document with five or six chapters. Each chapter is included in files which are named for instance
chapter-1.tex
chapter-2.tex
and so on.  Then my file main.tex contains the lines
\input chapter-1.tex
\input chapter-2.tex
and so on, in order to typeset the whole document. But now I don’t know how to sync the PDF file with the source files chapter-1.tex, chapter-2.tex, etc., in order to correct mistakes or mistypings when I discover them in the PDF file.
Clearly, the main file and these files are residing in the same directory.

Is there a way to tell context to look into the directory where the main file and my chapter files are?

it works here .. you can look in the synctex file to see if the files get references