> > In general, I'm ok without grid snapping, because the default
> > typesetting of taller formulas inside text is good enough for my
> > goals.
>
> for a bit more complex doc with many different unpredictable
> elements
> snapping seldom works ... we never use it (in production it often
> leads
> to more whitespace than one wants) ... the tex glue model is good
> enough
>
> (the requirement often comes from cases where snapping is the only
> way
> to get spacing right ... similar to the use of ragged right and no
> hyphenation because the used system can't handle it well ... in the
> worst case the limitations of a system then become undisputable
> 'good
> practice' and 'it's the default' and 'it's better for reader' etc)

So for quotations and adjust the space around them are you suggesting
manual adjustment?

I was already more convinced of keeping snap-to-grid turned off. Now
the problem is how to adjust the spaces around quotations (and floats)
at the minimum cost.

Since the line heights of the main text and the ones of quotations do
not change, the adjustment depends only on the number of lines of
quotations. I could compile a table for more common cases:

# of lines | adjustment
1 line     | ... pt
2 lines    | ... pt
3 lines    | ... pt
20 lines   | ... pt

I should teach users how to insert adjustments, but the task would be
eased because they should only copy a value from a table or insert a
name that corresponds the the number of lines (i.e. "adjust-3-lines",
"adjust-4-lines", etc.)

Greetings,
Massi