Thank you, Pablo, for the workaround.

As to your question, it originally came about because of the order in which environment files were included in a document (one general to many documents, one specific to a new document). Between the times I created them, I switched from \hyphenation to \startexceptions.

In general, however, it seems that \startexceptions provides fine-grained control by language, whilst \hyphenation appears to be broad-stroke across all languages, and so it might make sense to use both (or not) depending on how you want to hyphenate, for example, trade names or other proper nouns in a multi-language work.

But this does have me wondering if I am cancelling hyphenation overrides made in the ConTeXt base code by way of \hyphenation when I use \startexceptions. Are there any such overrides standard? (I could not see any in a quick search of the source, but they may not be obvious to me if they exist.)

In any case, the wiki has been updated, at least to warn of this ordering issue and to suggest that \startexceptions exists. I have no documentation of \startexceptions to add.

--
Rik

On 2017-10-22 13:43, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
On 10/22/2017 07:18 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
Or am I doing something wrong?

With the following, Schwarzenegger is not hyphenated according to the
instruction. I get:
Hi Rik,

is there any reason not to include Schwarzenegger in the exceptions?

In any case, either you use \hyphenation *after* the exceptions, or you
include it in them. Both work fine.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo