On 10/22/2017 10:16 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> Thank you, Pablo, for the workaround.
>
> As to your question, it originally came about because of the order in
> which environment files were included in a document (one general to many
> documents, one specific to a new document). Between the times I created
> them, I switched from \hyphenation to \startexceptions.
>
> In general, however, it seems that \startexceptions provides
> fine-grained control by language, whilst \hyphenation appears to be
> broad-stroke across all languages, and so it might make sense to use
> both (or not) depending on how you want to hyphenate, for example, trade
> names or other proper nouns in a multi-language work.

Hi Rik,

see this sample:

    {\es \hyphenation{Schwarz-en-egger}}
    {\en \hyphenation{epi-graphs Mount-weazels Mount-weazel}}
    \hyphenation{Schwarz-en-egger}
    \starttext
    \startTEXpage[offset=1em]
    \hyphenatedword{Schwarzenegger} \\
    {\es\hyphenatedword{Schwarzenegger}} \\
    \hyphenatedword{Mountweazel} \\
    \hyphenatedword{Mountweazels} \\
    \hyphenatedword{epigraph} \\
    \hyphenatedword{epigraphs}
    \stopTEXpage
    \stoptext

I have just realized that it isn’t a question of \startexceptions, it is
just \hyphenation itself.

BTW, either I totally missing the issue or \hyphenation doesn’t work for
all languages, it only works for US English (the default language).

That being said, I wonder whether it makes sense to define two instances
of hyphenation exceptions.

> But this does have me wondering if I am cancelling hyphenation overrides
> made in the ConTeXt base code by way of \hyphenation when I use
> \startexceptions. Are there any such overrides standard? (I could not
> see any in a quick search of the source, but they may not be obvious to
> me if they exist.)

I used \registerhyphenationexceptions and I didn’t get the impression it
was so tricky. But this was years ago and I don’t remember which file it
was.

Sorry for not giving more help,

Pablo
--