Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you very much for your reply and your wise advice to use the \setvariable
mechanism. It is indeed much more convenient to use for what I intend to do.

The only remaining problem is that when several talks are included in my file
(in the following example there three of them), then the entries to the
register are correct but the associated pagenumbers are incorrect and are given
the last pagenumber: in the following example all three talks are given the
pagenumber 4 in the register. Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks agin for your time and attention: Otared K.
%%% begin register-talks.tex
\setupinteraction[state=start]
\defineregister[speakers]

\setupregister
  [speakers]
  [style=sansbold,
   n=2]

\startbuffer[pagetalk]
  \doflushatpar
    {\expanded{\speakers{\getvariable{talk}{speakername}}}%
     \expanded{\pagereference[talk:\getvariable{talk}{speakername}]}}%
  \starttabulate[|f{\bi}l|p|]
  \NC Speaker \EQ \getvariable{talk}{speakername} \NC\NR
  \NC Title   \EQ \getvariable{talk}{title}       \NC\NR
  \NC Time    \EQ \getvariable{talk}{time}        \NC\NR
  \NC Room    \EQ \getvariable{talk}{room}        \NC\NR
  \HL
  \stoptabulate
\stopbuffer

\setvariable{talk}{set}{\getbuffer[pagetalk]}

\showframe[text][text]

\starttext

\setvariables[talk]
        [speakername={Gauss},
        title={Remarks on Number Theory},
        time={10:30},
        room={A}]

\page

\setvariables[talk]
        [speakername={Poincaré},
        title={Remarks on Relativity},
        time={16:30},
        room={B}]

\page

\setvariables[talk]%
        [speakername={Dirac},
        title={Quaternions and the wave equation},
        time={15:30},
        room={B}]

\page

The talk about Gauss is on \at{page}[talk:Gauss].

\completeregister[speakers]

\stoptext
%%% end register-talks.tex