This is even more weird (same setup as before)

    \starttext

    wedge\wedge\footnote{wedge} prime\prime\footnote{prime}   % <-- no
\wedge (question mark) in footnote, but \prime

    \page
    wedge\wedge\footnote{wedge} prime\prime\footnote{prime}   % <--
\wedge and \prime

    \page
    wedge\wedge\footnote{wedge} prime\prime\footnote{prime}   % <--
wedge and \prime

    \stoptext