tex.stackexchange.com has page titled “How to manually reset the footnote
numbering in ConTeXt?”
(https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/359702/how-to-manually-reset-the-footnote-numbering-in-context),
 where exactly the same question was asked:

---begin quote---
“I have a document with many footnotes, like this:

This is some text\footnote{This is a footnote}.
This is some more text\footnote{This is another footnote}.
This is yet another text\footnote{This is some more footnote text}.
This produces footnotes numbered 1, 2, 3, etc.

I need to manually reset the footnote number back to 1. E.g.:

This is some text\footnote{This is a footnote}.
This is some more text\footnote{This is another footnote}.
\resetfootnote
This is yet another text\footnote{This is some more footnote text}.

This should produce footnotes numbered 1, 2, then 1 again.”)
---end quote---

But no conclusive answer was found. The questioner then said: “I tried changing
way=bypage and way=bysection, but it does not get the correct results, which is
to have the numbers reset each time \placefootnotes is called. As bypage and
bysection both don't do that, I need to be able to manually adjust the
numbering.”

I have tried ‘\resetcounter [footnote]’ (a suggested solution on that web
page), but it does not work (at least not in MkII+XeTeX). ‘\setupcounter
[footnote] [0]’ (also suggested on that web page) is rejected as an error.

Robert