What I've done is the following: I've made a zip archive (see attachment) with
a few relevant files – the two first files that will be a part of the book:
preface.tex and how-to-use.tex, together with an environment file
manual-environment-xasia.tex with a lot of settings, and the starting file
sample.tex which puts everything together.

This does not need odd things like exotic fonts, and it does not contain
uncommon tables etc. I've changed the main font to TeX Gyre Termes, which all
of us have (so I assume, since it comes with the major TeX distributions), so
there should be no problems there either; but if there is an error message, you
can comment out line 12 in manual-environment-xasia.tex and de-comment line 13
to turn the font into Times (or you can change the name of the font to anything
you have on your computer).

Right now I am using an iMac with the latest OS installed.

The 'footnotes' will be placed at the end of the chapters (i.e., they will be
endnotes).

If you run sample.tex through ConTeXt and XeTeX (i.e., MkII) and look at the
final page, you will see that the footnote / endnote marker has not been reset.

Robert