I see.  Thanks for the explanation.

So the following works:

-------------------------------
\unprotect
\setvalue{startNotes}%
  {\global\settrue\c_page_comment_enabled
   \grabbufferdatadirect{pagecomment}{startpagecomment}{stopNotes}}
\protect
\def\stopNotes{}
------------------------------

What does the second argument to \grabbufferdatadirect mean?  Nothing
changes when I modify that.

The point of redefining the pagecomment environment for me was to style it
a bit: add \righttoleft at the beginning, and surround the content in
startstopnarrower.  How can I inject prepend/append to a buffer's content?

The solution I can think of is to use a different buffer
"pagecomment_internal" in the above definition, and then build buffer
"pagecomment" using that.

Thanks,
~MHB