On 11/20/2019 5:07 PM, Denis Maier wrote:
Hi everyone,
Is it possible to run ConTeXt as a service on a server? If yes, is there documentation about this? Background: I'm currently on the PKP conference, and we are discussing OJS plugins for automated PDF production. I was wondering if ConTeXt could be an option...
Best,
Denis

P.S.: I'll be giving here a brief introduction to XML typesetting with ConTeXt to spread the word... just to let you know.
Running tex on demand is not really a problem but when it has to happen after clicking a button there is the problem of preventing a (web) server locking due to such aprocess as a tex run normally takes some time ... can be a second for some simple document but mayb eminutes for a 500 page document with images on each page and some 4 runs needed to get all cross references and lists right

so, one ends up with some independent service with a cue and a way to query the state of a run

there is actually code in the distribution (or can be added) that can be used but i never came to document it in detail (it makes no sense if only i use it) .. it boils down to delegating to one or more vm running a service that runs and reports status

among the aspects to take into account are:

- are resources needed (can be some mount)
- how long does the result needs to be kept
- when is stuff cleaned up
- how to keep things secure (no problem with xml)

etc

anyway, we have some of such workflows and once they work they do so forever