If it helps, here's why I thought it would work:

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/definefirstline

The wiki page shows that the macro takes a style option. The style
option links to:

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Style_Alternatives

This page has a list of predefined styles and describes how to set up
an alternative style:

https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Style_Alternatives#Defining_a_Style_Alternative

From the wiki page:

\definealternativestyle [head:neat]       [\WORD]   []

While \definealternativestyle[PoemFirstWord][{\bf\uppercasing}][] will
work for my needs, I am concerned that it is inconsistent wrt wiki
documentation, and also appears to expose an inconsistent API, as it
were. Is there any way to make the two conform to the same usage? That
is, it was not obvious (from the wiki) that I could not use "WORD" as
an alternative style even though it is literally listed and used as an
alternative style.

Thanks again!