Wolfgang,

I did define the various variants in order to parametrize vtop, vbox and
vcenter through parameters top, bottom, center.

Happily there proved to be a remedy: place everything inside an \hbox and the
error goes away. Without problematic whitespace or other nasty side effects, it
seems.  But, although the panic is over now :-), I am still curious to know why
it worked before and raises an error now.

as for the definition of \placexlocation, it comes from:
\def\setupplacex{\getparameters[placex]}
\setupplacex[%  default parameters
        location=center,%
        ]%
and I checked that it had the value: center.

But if you are interested, I can send you the module code.

dr. Hans van der Meer