> On 1 Aug 2020, at 16:17, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> On 8/1/2020 3:20 PM, Otared Kavian wrote:
>>> On 31 Jul 2020, at 10:32, Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>>
>>> […]
>>>
>>> Other work in progress is: better columns in itemize, esp proper footnote
>>> support (not that I ever need that but I know users do so ...), experiments
>>> work ok, but I need to check spacing. In general, footnotes (will) behave a
>>> bit better, especially those used nested in other mechanisms. A side effect
>>> of more control is that we can do other tricks too and we're playing with
>>> it (kind of fun).
>> Hi Hans,
>> Thanks for your explanations.
>> Regarding footnotes, would it be possible to have a built-in support for
>> writing the footnotes in the margin? (For instance, assuming that the layout
>> is such that for instance the right margin takes 1/3 of the page width, then
>> the footnotes would occupy the right margin, beginning at the top).
> It depends on what you want. This works ok:
> […]

Hi Hans,

That's great! Thanks a lot!
I have two questions in order to adapt what you sent to my case.
I played a bit with your second solution, as in:

%%%%%%% begin sidenote-Hans.tex
\showframe
\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setuplayout
        [cutspace=7cm,
        width=middle,
        margin=5cm,
        margindistance=7mm]

\setuptexttexts
        [margin]
        [] [{\directsetup{notabene}}]

\newbox\MyNoteOverflow
\setupnotation[endnote]
        [interaction=yes,
        after={\blank[big]}]

\startsetups notabene
        \setbox\scratchbox\vbox
        \bgroup
                \setupalign[tolerant]
                \ifvoid\MyNoteOverflow
                \else
                        \unvbox\MyNoteOverflow
                \fi
                \placenotes[endnote][before=,after=]
        \egroup
        \scratchdimen\dimexpr\textheight-.5\lineheight\relax
        \ifdim\ht\scratchbox>\scratchdimen
                \global\setbox\MyNoteOverflow\box\scratchbox
                \setbox\scratchbox\vsplit \MyNoteOverflow to \scratchdimen
        \fi
        \vbox
        \bgroup
                \topskipcorrection
                \unvbox\scratchbox
                \vfilll
        \egroup
\stopsetups

\startsetups notaflush
        \doloop {
        \page
        \ifvoid\MyNoteOverflow
                \exitloop
        \else
                \null \page
        \fi
        }
\stopsetups

\starttext

\dorecurse{10}{
        test \endnote{\input ward }\input tufte.tex \par
        test \endnote{This is a note about Ward, who says: \par \input
ward.tex} \input ward.tex \par
        test \endnote{This is a note about Donald Knuth.} \input knuth.tex \par
        }
This is a last note. \endnote{This last note is here to see what happens in the
\par \input knuth.tex
%\setups{notaflush}
\stoptext
%%%%%%% end sidenote-Hans.tex

The first question is why did you define a setups called notaflush, and why
your example works fine without using it ?

The second question is: the side notes are vertically centered in the margin
(one can see this when the notes do not cover all the margin), which is fine
for me. But, out of curiosity, what can be changed in the setups notabene in
order to have the notes to begin at the top of the margin ?
(When a note runs into the next page, as in the last note, then it would be
nicer to begin on top of the margin).

Thanks again: Otared K.