> Am 01.08.2020 um 18:57 schrieb Otared Kavian <ota...@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi Hraban,
>
> Thank you for reminding me of the solution cooked up by Wolfgang for you a
> few years ago. That solution works fine when the notes are short enough, but
> in some cases the notes in the margin bump into each other (indeed it is not
> a good habit to have long notes, but in some cases one cannot avoid them).

One essential bit is missing in the wiki example:

\setupmargindata[inmargin][
  location=right,
  stack=continue, % !!
  align=flushright,
]

The code I’m actually using for our German literature magazine “Kritische
Ausgabe” is much more elaborated, but also cluttered with obsolete stuff – I
need to sort that out some time...
(I only deleted some styling.)

%%% Footnotes / Marginals

\setupmargindata[inmargin][
  location=right,
  stack=continue,
  align=flushright,
]
\setupmargindata[inouter][
  location=right,
  stack=continue,
  align=flushright,
]

\def\FNVOffset{0} % Negative vertical offset of footnotes in lines
% Manual tweaking was necessary for a while, when stacking didn’t work reliably.

\def\MarginNote#1{%
\inmargin[
  voffset=\dimexpr-\FNVOffset\lineheight\relax,
  width=\ColWidth,
  align=flushleft,
]{%
  \inframed[
    width=\ColWidth,
    align=right,
    frame=off,
    offset=overlay,
    strut=yes,
    ]{#1}%
  }%
}

\define\PlaceFootnote{%
\inmargin[
  voffset=\dimexpr-\FNVOffset\lineheight\relax,
  width=\ColWidth,
]{%
  \vtop{\placelocalnotes[footnote][before=,after=]}}%
}

\def\FNo#1{{#1~}}
% I never managed to get number and text in consecutive lines without indented
text
% or at least a constant whitespace after the number.

\setupnote[footnote][
  location=text,
  bodyfont=,
  indenting=no,