I think there was a question on this very recently but I don;t think it got
an answer and I can't find it to reply to, so apologies for the extra
noise. I have a large text with floats numbered sequentially by chapter and
then figure/table number, but at the last minute I've had a request for two
figures in a particular chapter to become 27.1a and 27.1b instead of 27.1
and 27.2. It's not a combination - they are separate figures on different
pages.

I've experimented with the options I can see, but it's not obvious if there
is a facility to override the numbering of two figures in a stream of
normally numbered figures like this. I was thinking of the equivalent of
the old \sym{symbol} command that used to work as a way to override a
single item in an otherwise sequential list.

I guess there's a brute force method of setting up a new type of figure
with the label "Figure 27.1" and having them numbered as lowercase alpha,
but if there's an easier way that would be great.

Thanks.

Duncan