On Mon, 24 Aug 2020, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> > On 24 Aug 2020, at 19:59, Wolfgang Schuster
> > <wolfgang.schuster.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> \setcounter[figure][5] % next figure is no.6
>
> For this subfigure stuff, perhaps this is useful?
>
> [...]
>
> I could not find a safe way to increment the subfigure number automatically,
> unfortunately.

Another option is to define:

\startplacesubfigure ... \stopplacesubfigure

which could use the current value of figure counter as prefix and increment the
subfigure counter. Something similar is there for subformulas in the math mode,
but I'll have to go back and check the implementation details.

Aditya