> Am 04.01.2021 um 15:30 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.ha...@xs4all.nl>:
>
> On 1/4/2021 2:18 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>
>>> Of course it helps to understand basic TeX stuff – but you’re not
>>> supposed to use (plain) TeX commands in LaTeX, while it is or was
>>> much more usual in ConTeXt.
>> Well we discourage the use of plain commands to avoid that new users
>> trip over bewildering errors from stuff like "abc \hskip 2cm plus
>> cde", but it is not forbidden to use them.
> Hm, \hskip is not a plain command but a language primitive. And there's
> nothing wrong with using primitives, assuming that one knows how they work
> (and in this case that a \relax does wonders).
>
> One of those 'persistent' wrong ideas about context is that it somehow is
> kind of plain but decided to not waste time arguing that. There are actually
> not that many commands in 'plain' anyway. Much of plain tex is setting up
> math (and all macro packages support those symbolic names and the basic math
> structures), some fonts (all macro package set up some font system and maybe
> some aliases that make it easier for plain users),
> but as soon as one uses latex or context or ... some different output routine
> kicks in, table mechanisms show up, \item has a different meaning, etc. (The
> early macro packages were kind of plain themselves: demanding redefinition of
> internals and such.)

I don’t know anything about Knuth’s Plain TeX, I always mean plain TeX. ;)
And I mix up primitives and "basic" commands, because it doesn’t matter for me.
My mistake.

What I meant: In ConTeXt code (by users and maybe only in old sources) I see a
lot of TeX constructs, e.g. you’re using \def (TeX) and not \define (ConTeXt)
because you know it makes no difference.

And when I can’t achieve the right vertical spacing with \blank[something], I
use \vskip, because it works.

LaTeX replaces many basic commands/primitives (\vskip -> \vspace), ConTeXt
might too, but with the same name.

Hraban