On 3/11/2021 2:05 AM, Mohammad Hossein Bateni wrote:
Hi,

Since most fonts do not have the standard tex ligatures built in, I tend to add them when I load the fonts.  Once in a while, I run into fonts where this does not work.

See the attached tex/pdf files.  I basically load the font as follows:

\definefontfeature[tf][arabic][tlig=yes]
\definedfont[dejavusansmono*tf]

This works fine for DejaVuSansMono and for one Farsi font I use (https://github.com/rastikerdar/vazir-font/blob/master/dist/Vazir-Regular.ttf <https://github.com/rastikerdar/vazir-font/blob/master/dist/Vazir-Regular.ttf>) but not for this other Farsi font (https://github.com/aminabedi68/Mikhak/blob/master/Font/ttf/Mikhak-Medium.ttf <https://github.com/aminabedi68/Mikhak/blob/master/Font/ttf/Mikhak-Medium.ttf>). Perhaps this is because the last font is not standard, but TrueType/OpenType standard is sometimes up for interpretation.

I see two strange symptoms here:

\showotfcomposition displays the tlig feature differently for the last font.  It appears in the "extra" list, not in "basic".  Why is that? What does this mean anyway?

The font doesn't have endash and emdash so there is nothing to construct from the double -

\starttext
    \definedfont[file:Mikhak-Medium.ttf*default] foo--bar
    [\char"2013]
    [\char"2014]
\stoptext

Just ask the author to add these characters and you're fine.