On 3/24/2021 11:43 PM, denis.ma...@ub.unibe.ch wrote:
So, what's the general recommendation? Which approach is the best in your
opinion? (In case it's the \replaceword approach: do you think you'll have time
to look into this?)

I've seen in an older thread that the best way to deal with this would be in
the hyphenator. What do you think about this now, a couple of years later?

And, while we're at it: how do you deal with words like "begrifflich" where
you'll want the ff ligature, but not the ffl ligature.
I've tried this
\replaceword[ligs][begrifflich][begri{ffl}ich]
But this breaks the ligature completely.
\replaceword[ligs][begrifflich][begrif{fl}ich] is not correct either (doesn't
do anything).

Or with exceptions:
\startexceptions[de]
begri{ff-}{l}{ffl}(ff\zwnj l)ich
\stopexceptions

But that also breaks the ligature completely.
Todays secret:

\starttext

\registerhyphenationpattern[nl][e1ë/e=e]
\registerhyphenationpattern[nl][a9atje./a=t,1,3]
\registerhyphenationpattern[en][eigh1tee/t=t,5,1]
\registerhyphenationpattern[de][c1k/k=k]
\registerhyphenationpattern[de][schif1f/ff=f,5,2]

\starthyphenation[traditional]
    \starttabulate[|||]
\NC reëel \NC \language[nl]\hyphenatedcoloredword{reëel} \NC \NR \NC omaatje \NC \language[nl]\hyphenatedcoloredword{omaatje} \NC \NR \NC eighteen \NC \language[en]\hyphenatedcoloredword{eighteen} \NC \NR \NC Zucker \NC \language[de]\hyphenatedcoloredword{Zucker} \NC \NR \NC Schiffahrt \NC \language[de]\hyphenatedcoloredword{Schiffahrt} \NC \NR
    \stoptabulate
\stophyphenation

\stoptext

I think only Pablo ever used this variant. And yes, it's actually documented in a manual. But it's old code thay I might want to update to be more lmtx-ish.