Yes, that's in the "languages" manual. But I don't understand how this will
help with the ligatures?

\registerhyphenationpattern[de][.begriff1l/ff=l,6,3] Gives me correct
hyphenation of begrifflich, but has no effect on ligatures (see below).

Denis

\starttext

\registerhyphenationpattern[de][.begriff1l/ff=l,6,3]

\starthyphenation[traditional]
\language[de] begrifflich \hyphenatedcoloredword{begrifflich}

\stophyphenation

\language[de] begrifflich \hyphenatedcoloredword{begrifflich}