On 2021-05-02, Bruce Horrocks <n...@scorecrow.com> wrote:

>>> Why is your first line not
>>>
>>>  $ docker pull alpine
>>
>> I was following the documentation of iSH, which is where I want to use
>> the container eventually. But I may probably use the alpine image as
>> well, which is more up to date and allows me to install TeX Live 2020.
>>
>>> I would start with that then test each new step at the interactive
>>> shell before adding to the compose file and moving onto the next step.
>>
>> Unfortunately, even with the image above I get the same errors.
>
> Sorry for the late reply - I missed this in the thread.
>
> You're not going to be able to get the Docker container to run on the
> iPad if that's what you were ultimately hoping.

Sorry, my explanation of what I am trying to achieve was a bit too
terse.

There is a little wonderful app on the App Store, called iSH
(https://github.com/ish-app/ish), which essentially allows you to run
a 32-bit x86 Alpine Linux distribution on the iPad. One feature of the
app is that it can import and mount several "file systems". One way to
create such a file system is to export a Docker container.

So, what one can do is create a Docker container in some other device (I
use my laptop), configure it as desired, then export it into a .tar
archive, copy it into the iPad, and import it into iSH. This is better
than installing/building packages directly inside the app, because (a)
compiling on the iPad is extremely slow, and (b) some packages may raise
errors if one tries to install them inside the app (TeX Live being one
of them: this link explains the issue and the Docker workaround:
https://github.com/ish-app/ish/issues/1123).

iSH emulates x86_32 and uses Musl. AFAICS, ConTeXt LMTX currently only
provides a 64-bit download for Linux Musl. So, the next best alternative
is to use ConTeXt from TeX Live.

So, this is where I am at: I am trying to make ConTeXt work inside an
x86 Alpine Linux Musl container, using the official Alpine package.

Nicola