On 19.05.21 18:34, Hans Hagen wrote:

Can you check the latest upload? You should be able to go way higher.

Yes, with 2021.05.19 18:22, the file compiles again in lmtx! I'm also trying your suggestions for improving the Lua code and rethinking my tables for analyzing the vocabulary. Thank you for the quick fix! And I hope there won't be any problem for other users - I'm aware that memory

If they have problems it's because of other changes -)

on computers can differ vastly. I sometimes run ConTeXt on my raspberry pi 3, which has just 1 G of RAM, whereas my newish iMac at home has 40 G. So it's difficult to find the sweet spot that will satisfy everybody...

Unless you use many huge fonts, running your document on a rpi 4 with 4-8 gb should work ok (we have a rpi 4 in mojcas compile farm connected to an usb3 ssd). My laptop is from 2013 (decent intel 3840QM cpu + 16 GB mem and ssd and so) and is about 3 times slower than the rpi 4 in the luametatex manual.

Your file in mkiv does a decent ppm (is that an arm or intel mac?)

mkiv lua stats > lua properties: engine: lua 5.3, used memory: 601 MB, ctx: 579 MB, max: unknown MB, hash chars: min(64,40), symbol mask: utf (τεχ) mkiv lua stats > runtime: 22.310 seconds, 1068 processed pages, 1068 shipped pages, 47.871 pages/second

so I suppose in lmtx it's a bit faster and using less mem. Still less mem than the GB's that e.g. firefox consumes after a few hours sitting idle.

Concerning the sweetspot: I supose that on a laptop or desktop users are okay, but in a vm (or instance) it might matter because there processes have to fight over memory and cache (some is gained back by often faster disk io because that gets delegated to another process). I try to keep that in mind with luametatex/lmtx, which is why I spent quite some time on a lower mem footprint. I have no clue what a modern cpu does compared to mine (tex is single core).

(btw, the latest version should also be a bit more efficient / faster with some huge cjk fonts that for some reasons have so many zero entries that the tma file was 3 times larger than needed, but I suppose fonts will always be a bit of an issue ... they have always been since tex showed up.)