You need two NICs

[] On Behalf Of It Manager
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 11:23 PM
Subject: [Ntop] Help with setting up

Hi All,

I am the network manager for a large high school in Melbourne, Australia.  I'm
currently evaluating ntopng to try to see how well it will help me manage my
network.  I have installed Ubuntu 16.04LTS on a new desktop computer and have
installed the latest ntopng according to the instructions.  It seems to be
installed and working well.  However, since the laptop is not "inline" with my
network, I don't see too much traffic.

I have plugged the computer into my main switch.  However, every time I put the
switch into "port-mirror" mode, I lose connection with the ntopng computer
completely.  I don't really know much about port-mirroring, and am wondering if
this is normal?

I tried adding another network card (albeit an old USB network card) with a
second connection and IP address, but that also loses connection when I put the
switch port into mirror mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris Stebbing,

Network Manager,