A Message from the NTCI Parents Mailing List:

Acknowledgements & Upcoming Events & Dates
North Toronto welcomes Peter Smith to the Math department.  Mr. Smith will be
replacing Mr. Haughton for the remainder of the year on days 2 and 4 (MPM2D,
MCR3U and BB4M).

Parent Information meeting for next year's Dominican Republic service trip:
April 3 at 6:30 pm in room 215.

Soda Pop Shop:  April 5
Soda Pop Shop takes place next Friday April 5 starting at 7 pm. The event
features the Stage Band, singing, dancing, and artwork.  The Art show is a
competition which will be judged by the audience. There will also be a door
prize which has been donated by Jeff Long of Long and McQuade.  There will also
be all-you-can-eat munchies, ice cream floats and beverages!
Tickets are being sold on Wednesday and Thursday at school and at the door on
Friday night. It's always a fun and yummy night!

Report Card distribution:  Wednesday April 10 during Home Form.  Please ask to
see the report card package!

NT's Leadership retreat:  April 11-13, 2019 (inclusive)

Easter holiday:  April 19-22 (inclusive).  No classes.

Staff meeting:  April 24.  Classes begin at 10 am.

Grade 9 Geography Summative Field Trip to High Park:  Friday April 26.

Notice to Parents!
It has come to our attention that tickets are being sold for a "North Toronto
Semi-Formal" to take place on Thursday April 18.  Please be advised that this
is NOT a school sanctioned event; there will be NO North Toronto staff
supervision on site and the school takes NO responsibility for the behaviour
and comportment of guests in attendance.

School Council news!
Next School Council meeting:  Monday April 1, 2019 at 7:30
pm<x-apple-data-detectors://0> in room 215.
Our guest will be newly re-elected Trustee Shelley Laskin who has served our
school for years but who is now also responsible for schools in the area to our
north (former Wards 8 and 11 were joined into a single new Ward 8). The much
smaller 22-member board, over half newly-elected, faces challenges in
maintaining effective connections with the parent community, working with a new
Ontario government, and dealing with an uncertain future operating North
America's largest school board.
Shelley will provide us with an update on where the Board is going generally,
and will speak to issues of specific interest to the NTCI community.  Mr. Mack
will provide us with highlights and "feelings from the building" from the NTCI
specific results of the TDSB's 2017 student and parent census.   More than
220,000 students and parents across Toronto completed the census, providing a
comprehensive picture of students, their school experiences, relationships at
school, physical health, and emotional well-being.
We are hoping to have a good discussion with parents on these topics and the
special attributes and challenges of our school.  Your input will be used to
formulate future plans for the school.
Please join us!

Our School Council Meeting on Monday, April 29th at 7:30
pm<x-apple-data-detectors://1> will provide an opportunity for parent input and
 discussion.  Stay tuned for more details.
The School Council has several methods of communicating with parents:
School Council Facebook Group: Please follow the link
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1336801883128478/ to join the group.
@NTCI_parents on Twitter:  From Twitter, search for and follow @NTCI_parents
School Council Email List: Please signup
at  http://eepurl.com/dyB_p9.

>From Toronto Police Services!
Toronto Police Services would like to make the public aware of a recent series
of street robberies within a one-km. radius of Yonge Street and Eglinton
Avenue.  These incidents are mostly swarming-type robberies involving teenagers
in which a group of people approach the victims and demand personal property
including cell phones, clothing and money. Toronto Police Services is
requesting that the public be vigilant in the area. Police are also requesting
anyone who is a victim or witness to this type of incident to contact police.
Students should not engage or retaliate in these situations.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police at 416-808-5300, Crime
Stoppers anonymously at 416-222-TIPS (8477), online at
www.222tips.com<http://www.222tips.com>, or text TOR and your message to CRIMES
(274637).
Please find attached to this email a TDSB Streetproofing Tips sheet for parents
to share with their children.  This tip sheet was distributed in hard copy
earlier this year to all North Toronto students. As well, please find attached
a safety alert issued earlier this week by Greenwood school regarding a safety
concern in the Rosedale area.

William Mack
Principal
North Toronto Collegiate Institute