A Message from the NTCI Parents Mailing List:

Acknowledgements, Upcoming Events & Dates

>From the TDSB Director and Chair:

As you are aware, the Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE) announced that
its members will take further job action on Monday, October 7, 2019, if a new
collective agreement is not reached through negotiations with the province and
the Council of Trustees Associations. The new job action will be a full
withdrawal of services, which is otherwise known as a strike or a walk-out.
Over 18,000 employees will not be at work for the duration of the strike, which
is almost half of the Toronto District School Board's employees. Most of these
employees work in schools.

If this job action commences as scheduled, the Board will close all schools for
all students on Monday, October 7, 2019 and for the duration of the job action.
While we understand that this is a challenging time, parents will be required
to make alternate arrangements for their children. Student supervision and
safety are our top priorities and without the important services of these
school-based employees, we cannot guarantee that our learning environments will
remain safe and clean for all students.

North Toronto welcomes Danielle Ryl to the Math and Science department!

>From the NTCI School Parent Council

Please join us at our first Parent Council meeting on Monday, October 7 at 7:30
pm in room 215. This will be your first in-person chance to connect within the
parent community!

If the school is closed on Monday, then this meeting will be postponed until
October 28 - please check subsequent school messages in that regard.

An election will be taking place to vote the Parent Council Executive. All
parents attending the meeting will be able to vote. This meeting will also
include an election of council members, as described to you in the Council's
email sent to all parents by the school on September 16.

Following the election, the Council Executive will meet and elect a
Chair/Co-Chairs as well as all other positions that are needed to perform
Council functions during the year.

We look forward to seeing you on October 7, or, if necessary, at our next
scheduled meeting on October 28.

Connect with us through one or all of the following social media channels:

*  Email
communicati...@ntcischoolcouncil.ca<mailto:communicati...@ntcischoolcouncil.ca>
if you have any questions or suggestions

*  Subscribe to NTCI School Parent Council mailing
list<https://ntci.us18.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=86a97e16d7abecd32cbbe6284&id=9cf77cbe41>

*  Facebook page: Like and follow NTCI School Parent
Council<https://www.facebook.com/NTCIParent/>

*  Facebook group: Join NTCI School Parent
Council<https://www.facebook.com/groups/1336801883128478/>

*  Twitter: Follow @ntci_parents<https://twitter.com/NTCI_Parents>

October 8:  ESL newcomer student and parent welcome dinner (5:30 pm in the
staff lounge)

October 10:  Red and Grey Day!  North Toronto celebrates school spirit!

October 11:  PA Day (no classes)

October 15:  Post-Secondary Information Evening/College and University Fair
In anticipation of a positive resolution over the weekend with regards to the
CUPE job action, all Grade 11 and 12 parents and students are encouraged to
attend!!

ESL opportunity:
North Toronto will run the "Skills for Change Leadership program" for
ESL/Newcomer students; 5 sessions of 2 hours each with guest speakers and
leadership activities from 3:30 to 5:30 on October 21, 23, 25, 28, 30.
Students must commit to the entire programme and will earn 20 volunteer hours
as well as a leadership certificate for their participation

William Mack
Principal
North Toronto Collegiate Institute