A Message from the NTCI Parents Mailing List:

Good afternoon everyone:
I hope that you and your families are staying safe and engaged during this time
of distance learning.

All families should have received a letter from the Director of the TDSB
earlier this afternoon with numerous updates.

The Provincial "stay-at-home" order has been extended until May 31 (at the
earliest).  Classes, field trips and school events have been cancelled until at
least the end of the school year.

North Toronto's Commencement ceremony scheduled for June 25 will be postponed
until October 2020 (more details to follow).

>From the Ministry directive which was released last week, it was confirmed
>that there would be no final exams in June.  A report card will be issued at
>the end of June to students.

The final marks will represent the most accurate reflection of student work
based on what is reasonable and in the best interest of students.

For additional information regarding learning sessions for families, well-being
and student engagement and summer learning opportunities, please refer to the
Director's letter.

>From the Student Services department!
The Ministry of Education has extended the Full Disclosure Deadline for all
schools to allow students more time to consider if they would like the option
to drop senior level courses without having those courses show on their
transcript (permanent academic record).
The new full disclosure date is Wednesday, May 6. (Students may drop courses
after this date but the course and the mark will appear as "withdrawn" on their
transcript).
If students wish to drop a course (or courses), they must fill in this Course
Drop Google Form https://forms.gle/UaCqbGU9p68VHH1e7 AND have their parent
email michelle.debr...@tdsb.on.ca<mailto:michelle.debr...@tdsb.on.ca> with
permission for the drop BEFORE 4pm on May 6.

>From the NT Wellness Committee!
Follow NT Wellness on Instagram (@ WellnessNTCI) next week as we launch our
first ever "virtual" mental health awareness week.
Monday:  Virtual therapy dogs! Make others smile by posting an image of your
pet and tagging us to be featured on Instagram.
Tuesday:  Make the most of quarantine!  Tips and strategies on how to be
productive and stay fit during quarantine.
Wednesday:  Quarantine hobbies!  Learn new skills while at home.
Thursday:  Thoughtful Thursday!  Virtual meditation, yoga and mindfulness
during this stressful time.
Friday:  Bake with us!  Easy and fun recipes for everyone.
Organized by the NT Wellness Committee - our student leaders Michelle Ehrlich,
Katrin Kazimirov, Roma MacDonald, Elen Mullaj, Tammy Pahlavani - and our staff
advisors Ms. Hayden and Ms. Dalamba.

>From Athletics Coordinator Nancy Rough!
NT Athletic Winter/Spring Wrap-Up
It seems like a long time ago when students were competing in the gyms, rinks,
pools and on the slopes. Over 300 NT students participated this winter in
teams, clubs, and intramurals or worked out in the weight room.   Thank you to
all the students and coaches for their commitment and enthusiasm! Some
highlights include:

Intramurals and Sports Clubs
During lunch time at NT, all three gyms were in demand for sport activities.
The NTAA organized and supervised leagues for borden ball, basketball and ball
hockey starting in October and finishing up in March.  The basketball league
was so popular that junior and senior leagues were devised so the three gyms
could accommodate the demand especially among the junior students. The
badminton, basketball, table tennis and archery clubs met weekly with large
groups of students eager to develop their skills and have fun competing with
their friends.
The annual Charity Week Senior Volleyball game brought students down to the gym
to cheer on their favourite team.  This year the Senior Boys team was
victorious over the Senior Girls team. There were many amazing hits, blocks and
digs from both sides of the net. It was a fun event and the friendly
competition raised money for charity so a winning result all round.
Alpine Skiing
This was the most successful season in decades for the ski team with 3 City
Championship teams and the overall title and all three teams qualifying for
OFSAA.
OFSAA
NT won the Championship title in Open Girls GS.
Annie Deeks won both the GS & SL, with Ellen Gilday 3rd in the GS.
The team was 2nd in the SL.
The Open Boys placed 3rd in the SL and 2nd in the GS.
The High School Boys placed 3rd in the GS.
Cities
Championships:  The High School Boys team won, led by Jack Macaulay's 1st place
finishes in both GS and SL. Ewan MacLachlan was close behind with a 2nd in GS &
3rd in SL.
The Open Girls won, led by Annie Deeks, 1st in both GS & SL followed by Ellen
Gilday in 2nd in both events
The Open Boys won, led by Kai Huang (3rd in both) and Liam Vlaad (1st in SL,
4th in GS)

Basketball
Junior Boys
Lost in a close Regional Quarter Final game. The team improved every week and
played hard right to the end!
Senior Boys
Won Earl Haig Tournament
Best game score in the league winning against the undefeated top Toronto team
Oakwood 60-57
Semi-Finalists in the region.

Curling
Co-ed team 2
 -Claire Birch, Matthew Bennett, Sean Lee, Anthony Lee, and Emma Noble had an
undefeated regular season.
Co-ed team 1
- Ethan Banderk, Saptarshi Mondal, Rohan Sankaram, Ryan Spagnolo, Inara Ezers,
and Stella Sherman won Gold in B flight.
Co-ed team 5
- Becky Rodmell, Piper Penzinger, Sara Beddow, Ilan Aronowitz, and Adam Wilk
won gold in C flight."

Hockey
This year, all 3 NT hockey teams joined forces to play the "The Broadway Bowl"
game of NT versus Northern Secondary. Players, NT grads and parents enjoyed
this charity event showcasing the talent of 6 teams in one game.

Girls Varsity
Quarterfinalist in regional league
A great turnout of players this year.  All the girls demonstrated commitment
and skill throughout the season!

Boys Hockey Tier 2
Great team experience. Positive attitudes and strong effort. Finished 3rd in
South Region standings.
Lost in Quarter Finals to Bloor CI.
Boys Varsity
Finalists in York University Tournament.
Tied for second in League play.  Beat eventual City Champions in league play
3-2.
A wonderful group of student-athletes who were coachable and respectful.

Swimming
Varsity
Open Girls won the TDSSAA Regional Championship.
20 NT swimmers competed at OFSAA Championships in early March.

TDSSAA City Finals:  NT 5th overall of 44 TDSB schools
Medal finishers:
  -Gary Guo - Gold in 100 m Breaststroke, Silver in 100 m I.M.
  -Sadie Goldin - Gold in 50 m Freestyle, Silver in 100 m Backstroke and Bronze
in 100 m Freestyle
  -Sr. Boys Freestyle Relay (Max Landry, Richard Sternberg, Youssef Elhadad and
Gary Guo) - Bronze
  -Open Girls 200 Medley Relay (Abigail Shin, Amanda Wilson, Alana Odinocki,
Sadie Goldin) - Bronze

Indoor Soccer
Varsity Boys
The debut of this new winter team was very successful making it all the way to
the city championship and finishing in 2nd place in the city.

Snowboarding
The snowboarding team was smaller in numbers this year but 3 racers did qualify
for OFSAA
Julia Fowell put in a great performance and won the Open Division at OFSAA
Liam Salass placing 6th in the City Championships

Volleyball
Junior & Senior Girls
Junior team placed 1st at the Northern Tournament!
Jr & Sr Teams were Quarterfinalist in a very competitive south region league.
Both teams had committed and hardworking players who got up for all those early
morning practices.
They improved greatly throughout the season.

>From Parent  Council!
You may be wondering what has happened to the NTCI Parent Council since our
February Screenagers program!
The council has not met since prior to March break as the TDSB prohibited
school councils from meeting in-person or virtually while the pandemic
restrictions are in place. As you may know, these are now extended through to
May. Therefore, we do not anticipate any parent council meetings for the
remainder of the school year.
However, the parent council misses the parent body. That's why we will host a
Virtual Social on Zoom on May 14 at 7:30 p.m. All NTCI parents are invited!
There is no agenda, no discussion topics, just an opportunity to see some
familiar faces, make new (virtual) connections, and chat about life in the time
of COVID-19 while you sip coffee or the beverage of your choice!
A Zoom link will be provided closer to the date.
We look forward to seeing everyone then.
Jess Hungate, Chair, NTCI Parent Council

William Mack
Principal, North Toronto CI