Really depends what it does and if you need the space and speed. Static
non-mission critical data that is easily restored that needs to be streamed
really fast would do well on raid 5.

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of J- P
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2016 9:18 AM
To: NT
Subject: [NTSysADM] raid 5? in 2016

So I inherited this server , (sitting on site since February) low and behold
when I fire it up it turns out that whoever set it up used all 8 discs in a
raid 5 (granted they are only 500gb enterprise ssd's ) but still raid 5? and no
hot spare?

I'm trying to figure what the purpose of this server is/was, but aside from a
losing some space wouldn't a  raid 6 and hot spare make MUCH more sense?

I'd like to move some of their VMs to it, as it is a brand spanking new r730
with 96gb of ram