"but still raid 5? and no hot spare?"  I've seen this more than once, There are
a lot of people out there that were taught old school and that RAID 5 is the
de-facto standard RAID setup so they stick with it for years and years!

From: listsad...@lists.myitforum.com [mailto:listsad...@lists.myitforum.com] On
Behalf Of J- P
Sent: 16 September 2016 14:11
To: NT <ntsysadm@lists.myitforum.com>
Subject: [NTSysADM] raid 5? in 2016

So I inherited this server , (sitting on site since February) low and behold
when I fire it up it turns out that whoever set it up used all 8 discs in a
raid 5 (granted they are only 500gb enterprise ssd's ) but still raid 5? and no
hot spare?

I'm trying to figure what the purpose of this server is/was, but aside from a
losing some space wouldn't a  raid 6 and hot spare make MUCH more sense?

I'd like to move some of their VMs to it, as it is a brand spanking new r730
with 96gb of ram

The University of Derby has a published policy regarding email and reserves the
right to monitor email traffic.
If you believe this was sent to you in error, please reply to the sender and
let them know.

Key University contacts: http://www.derby.ac.uk/its/contacts/