Jim,

I apologize for the late reply. Late night lurking stumbled across your
seemingly unanswered thread.

The count will eventually stop ticking and will hover at a predefined
value. The idea is that this value is high enough to ensure the KMS server
hands out real activations.

See here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee939272.aspx

However, that says the number is 50. My gut says that you need to install
ALL host keys for OSes you wish to activate.

>From the same article, check out KMS event 12290 for detailed information
about client activation requests.  Those have been helpful in the past. It
will tell you what the response was for each client.

Good luck,
Joe Tinney