My AD is Win 2008 R2 (forest and domain level). I have a parent-child
domain structure, and want to enable the AD Recycle Bin in the child
domain. I am getting an error of "A referral was returned form the
server".

Q: Do I need to be doing this on the child DC, or on the root DC?

Specifically, I am doing (in Active Directory Module for Powershell
(as Administrator):

Enable-ADOptional Feature "Recycle Bin Feature" -Scope
ForestorConfigurationSet -Target (Get-ADForect -Current LocalComputer)

I am doing this on the PDC of the child domain.

Do I need to be doing this on the Domain Naming Master, which is in
the Root domain? And - if so - will enabling it there, then enable it
for both domains?