From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 9:23 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Help w/DNS MX records

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Richard McClary
<richard.mccl...@aspca.org<mailto:richard.mccl...@aspca.org>> wrote:
> The trailing dots on the LHS were there from when records including
> Faxcore were imported first from AT&T (which may have put them in
> somewhat automatically in their web interface) to Internap, and then
> from Internap to Cogent.

 That seems to translate as, "We have no idea why those records are there."  :)

> SO, to summarize, before my next test, I should:

 I don't have enough information to tell you what you "should" do.

 But I suspect your DNS records aren't doing what you think they are.

 In standard notation, a fully-qualified domain name (FQDN) ends in a dot.  If
there is no dot, it's assumed to be a relative domain name.  For relative
domain names, the origin and/or search path can/will get involved.

 <www.microsoft.com<http://www.microsoft.com>.> is an FQDN.
<microsoft.com<http://microsoft.com>.> is an FQDN.  <com.> is an FQDN.  <.> is
an FQDN.

 <faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org<http://faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org>.> is an FQDN.

 <faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org<http://faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org>> is not an FQDN.

 <faxcore1.mwro> is not an FQDN.

 <faxcore1.mwro.> is an FQDN.

 So when you see:

faxcore1.mwro     A   63.85.204.151
faxcore1.mwro.    MX  10
faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org<http://faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org>.

... I suspect the computer sees:

faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org<http://aspca.org>.    A   63.85.204.151
faxcore1.mwro.              MX  10
faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org<http://faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org>.

  While the name <faxcore1.mwro.> is valid according to the DNS protocol, in
the public DNS structure, it's not delegated from the root, so nobody will find
it.  To wit:

> dig +noall +ans ANY faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org<http://faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org>.
> @auth1.dns.cogentco.com<http://auth1.dns.cogentco.com>.
faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org<http://faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org>. 600    IN      A
63.85.204.151
> dig +noall +ans ANY faxcore1.mwro.
> @auth1.dns.cogentco.com<http://auth1.dns.cogentco.com>.

  I have no idea if this is related to your other issues.  But you should
prolly get a handle on your DNS even if this is unrelated.

  Oh, I bet I know what's going on.  The RFCs say that in the absence of an MX
record, an SMTP implementation should try for an A record, and if it gets one,
assume that is the mail exchanger.  So when DNS clients try for an MX record
for <faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org<http://faxcore1.mwro.aspca.org>.>, they don't get
one, but then try for an A record, and succeed.  The bogus <faxcore1.mwro.>
record never gets involved.

-- Ben

or send an email to

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is from
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) and
is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain
legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail, and any
attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.