From: Richard Stovall [mailto:rich...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:18 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: OT?: Network connection on Eaton UPS

Does the USB to serial adapter work on anything else?

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Richard McClary
<richard.mccl...@aspca.org<mailto:richard.mccl...@aspca.org>> wrote:
Greetings!

We are now the proud owners of 6 Eaton 5PX-3000 UPS units, each with a network
card which seems to do nothing useful.  (One of these may now be FUBAR, as far
as network connection goes.)

The instructions say to connect to a serial port and run Hyperterminal, etc.
They give the port settings, and they say to type “admin” to get to the control
console.

Checking to be sure the serial port is listed as the correct COM port (USB
adapter; it seems to choose among COM6, COM7, and COM8), I get a blank console
screen.  (If port setting are not correct, I get a connection error.)

I had been using PuTTY.  Deciding perhaps PuTTY is not the best choice here, I
found and installed Hyperterminal.  NEITHER give me anything but a blank
console screen.

Eaton support says to wait 3 days for an answer (which would be tomorrow
afternoon).
-

It was suggested I simply plug it into the LAN, let DHCP assign an IP, then
connect to it that way.  Well, that made things worse!  I logged into the web
GUI and changed the IP address and other settings for the desired subnet, etc.
Well, connected to either subnet (using the appropriate IP for each subnet), it
will not respond.  Again, as the serial connection will not work, I believe the
network connectivity for that UPS is toast.

Anyone have better luck here?  It’s not supposed to take several days to set an
IP address for these things.  Thanks!
--
richard

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments hereto, is from
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) and is
intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally
privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of the contents of this e-mail, and any
attachments hereto, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify me by reply email and permanently delete the
original and any copy of this e-mail and any printout thereof.

or send an email to

or send an email to