From: John Aldrich [mailto:jaldr...@blueridgecarpet.com]
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 4:01 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Mail server software

I agree, I did not articulate my requirements very well. However, I ass-u-med
that any admin in their right mind would want to be able to back up their mail
server.  Maybe it's just me??? Same issue with Antivirus. Or maybe you run your
mail server without antivirus?

I have to admit my experience with Exchange is limited to Exchange 5.5 (I think
it was) about 4 years ago... I just remember that we had some issues with
viruses getting into the mail server and we couldn't scan the mail store as
that would cause Exchange to die. Also had some problems when the antivirus
(Symantec Corporate Edition at the time) "ate" a log file that Exchange was
wanting and caused the system to crash.

So, yeah, I'm anti-Exchange both from a cost perspective and a perspective of
someone who's worked with an admittedly out-dated version. That being said, my
understanding is that the above facts have not changed significantly since Ex
5.5. If they have, great, but that still leaves the fact that Exchange is
horribly expensive.

[John-Aldrich][Tile-Tools]