From: Ben Scott [mailto:mailvor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2009 10:27 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Why is Windows Time service crap?

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 10:36 AM,  <richardmccl...@aspca.org> wrote:
> 1. With multiple domain controllers, does one pick one of them, sync
> to an outside time source, then somehow point the other DCs to this DC?

  As I recall: The DC holding the PDC emulator FSMO role should be the root
time source for the entire AD forest.  By default, all other DCs should
automatically use that DC for time, and all members should automatically use to
whatever DC they're using for everything else AD.
 If you've got multiple sites -- especially if you've got tiered sites
-- you may want to override the default behavior.  Have DCs at HQ use PDC
emulator, DCs at second tier sites use HQ DCs, DCs at third tier sites feeding
off second tier DCs, etc.

  You generally want a hierarchy within your organization, with a single master
time source.  You can manually maintain that master, or have it sync to outside
time servers.

  I have found the Windows Time service to be somewhat easily perturbed.  Our
DC used to be set to sync directly to outside stratum two time servers.  The
time service would log errors and warnings all the time.  I put an NTP Project
ntpd server on our network, pointed the DC at that, pointed ntpd at the outside
world, and all the DC trouble went away.  The clients, pointing at the DC,
still sometimes give warnings and errors.  YMMV.

  (NTP Project is the reference implementation of NTP.
http://www.ntp.org/  Free Software.)

> 2. Why do servers and workstations drift off, time-wise?  How to stop this?

  The most common causes are:

(1) Failed or marginal battery for the Real Time Clock.  When the system
(re)boots, it gets system time from the RTC, so if the RTC is wacky you have
trouble then.  With practically every patch MSFT releases needing a reboot,
even servers can expect to reboot often in Windows-land.

(2) High interrupt load.  Once booted, system time is advanced by interrupts
generated by a hardware timer (the IRQ0 system timer by default).  If the
system is busy servicing other interrupts when the timer interrupt fires, it
can miss clock ticks.

  Be aware that if time is out-of-tolerance by more than a certain amount (5
minutes?  an hour?  I forget), the time service won't adjust the system time.
Radical changes in the system time tend to confuse lots of things (people and
programs alike), so it leaves it up to you.

-- Ben