From: Sean Martin [mailto:seanmarti...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:32 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Fiber Cable Tester

Honestly, I'd never thought of that. Does it actually work? I guess my concern
is that it wouldn't identify all possible imperfections within the strand. I'm
no fiber expert, but my understanding is that light impulses basically bounce
down each strand, and that is why sharp bends in fiber can cause problems
because those light impulses can end up being reflected out of order, depending
how they strike that bend. I would imagine a constant light source may still be
able to travel the strand even if minor fractures existed, where data
transmission could be negatively affected.

Are my concerns valid? Is there a reasonably priced device to verify the
integrity of a fiber cable, or am I just going to have to try the flash light
trick and then plug n pray?

- Sean
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 1:34 PM, James Kerr