I have been schooling my home users to run only as user and not
administrator.  They enjoy the reduced number to calls for assistance once
they understand if they need to install something to download it as a user
then scan it then log out and log in as the administrator to install it.  It
has saved several users a load of pain when they got hit by a drive by and
it could not install and was removed when a scan was run from the
administrator account.  I discourage them from using runas to do installs.
I want them to think about what they are wanting to do before they do it.
It seems to help keep the trash down.

Jon

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Erik Goldoff <[email protected]> wrote:

>  +1000
>
> One place I used to work had all 15 or so in the IT department set with
> domain admin privledge, and I was unable politically to change that... so
> even the developers had domain admin, and occaisionally didn't understand
> why the app didn't work on a non-admin user system as they weren't schooled
> on OS permissions ( especially when NT changed to XP )
> argggggh !
>
>  Erik Goldoff
>
> *IT  Consultant*
>
> *Systems, Networks, & Security *
>
> '  Security is an ongoing process, not a one time event ! '
>
>
>  ------------------------------
> *From:* John Hornbuckle [mailto:[email protected]]
> *Sent:* Friday, January 15, 2010 9:33 AM
>
> *To:* NT System Admin Issues
> *Subject:* RE: Local Admin Permissions WAS: RE: Internet Policy
>
>    Ditto. Our top dog—the Superintendent of Schools—runs as a standard
> user just like every single other employee.
>
>
>
> I’ve missed much of this thread, so I’m sure this has been said already…
> But I cannot stress enough how horrible an idea it is to have users run with
> elevated privileges. You’d be hard-pressed to find a single person
> knowledgeable about IT security who would say otherwise. Most governmental
> entities would face an audit criticism if they failed to follow best
> practices in this regard (I’m sure WE would). But even if I were in the
> private sector, I’d operate the same way.
>
>
>
> I remember when we moved to this model here a number of years back. There
> was a somewhat painful adjustment period, but it soon passed and we adapted
> to it. And I can say with certainty that our IT operations run MUCH more
> smoothly since doing it.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> John Hornbuckle
>
> MIS Department
>
> Taylor County School District
>
> www.taylor.k12.fl.us
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> *From:* James Kerr [mailto:[email protected]]
> *Sent:* Friday, 15 January 2010 8:02 AM
> *To:* NT System Admin Issues
> *Subject:* Re: Internet Policy
>
>
>
> +1000
>
>
>
> Even the top dog at our company is a standard user. My boss is a standard
> user. Only admins are me and my minion.
>
>
>
>
>
> NOTICE: Florida has a broad public records law. Most written communications 
> to or from this entity are public records that will be disclosed to the 
> public and the media upon request. E-mail communications may be subject to 
> public disclosure.
>
>
>
>
>
>

~ Finally, powerful endpoint security that ISN'T a resource hog! ~
~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/>  ~

Reply via email to