Any changes to your UAC settings recently? I am betting/guessing it is a 
function of that system.


From: Glen Johnson [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 11:08 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Local Admin Permissions WAS: RE: Internet Policy

Yeah, I loved that feature till it just recently stopped.
Anyone know what might cause that.
Now when I open ADU&C or any other MMC, it just opens but admin related stuff 
is grayed out.
I can shift, right click and runas, enter admin username and password and it 
works as it should.


From: Kennedy, Jim [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 8:47 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: RE: Local Admin Permissions WAS: RE: Internet Policy

Win 7 makes that whole process much easier. It seems to know what needs admin 
permissions so you just click it as normal and it pops the dialog box for you. 
Very handy and painless for the MMC admin tools like ADUC and so on.....


From: James Kerr [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:16 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Local Admin Permissions WAS: RE: Internet Policy

Good idea, never thought of that.
----- Original Message -----
From: James Hill<mailto:[email protected]>
To: NT System Admin Issues<mailto:[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:05 PM
Subject: Local Admin Permissions WAS: RE: Internet Policy

I don't even run my desktop as an admin and I don't allow any of the other IT 
staff to run as admins either.

That's what run-as is for.


From: James Kerr [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, 15 January 2010 8:02 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Internet Policy

+1000

Even the top dog at our company is a standard user. My boss is a standard user. 
Only admins are me and my minion.

James
----- Original Message -----
From: James Hill<mailto:[email protected]>
To: NT System Admin Issues<mailto:[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:21 PM
Subject: RE: Internet Policy

Sometimes that just requires making it painless for them.  So that they don't 
notice they aren't admins because it isn't causing any issues.

Sometimes it means educating management on the risks of being admins and how it 
could affect their business.

If all that fails then sometimes you are stuck with terrible management :)

From: Jon Harris [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Friday, 15 January 2010 6:43 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Internet Policy

That is good if you can get management buy in but not always possible.

Jon
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 3:27 PM, James Hill 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Agreed.  No offence intended but I'm amazed at how many people still allow 
users to be more than just that, users.

I've never allowed it any company I have worked for.  There are always ways to 
work around any picky apps that want higher permissions.

From: Jon Harris [mailto:[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>]
Sent: Friday, 15 January 2010 4:14 AM

To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: Internet Policy

Power Users can install software just FYI.

Jon
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:41 AM, John Aldrich 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
Sounds reasonable to me. I wish I could enforce a more restrictive policy than 
we do here, but I really don't have the resources to enforce much of anything. 
We have people using FaceBook/MySpace and doing online shopping, etc. I've told 
people numerous times not to download anything, period, without explicit 
permission, but they tend to do so anyway, up to and including installing apps.

I finally had enough of people installing crap with spyware attached and pretty 
much removed local admin permissions and made most users "Power Users" so they 
can have enough permissions to run stuff, but not install anything! So far that 
seems to be working. As I work on desktop machines, I find coupon printer 
software and other "crap" that has been installed over the years and clean it 
out.

Back to the topic at hand, I think that's a reasonable policy. I would suggest 
outlawing social networking sites and game sites (yahoo games) as those often 
seem to have spyware/adware associated with them and even just playing online 
games could lead to a "drive by install" of malware due to exploits.

[cid:[email protected]][cid:[email protected]]

From: James Kerr [mailto:[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>]
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2010 9:35 AM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Internet Policy

I know this has been discussed in the past but I'm in the process of making 
changes to ours so I was interested in a little input from my peers. We have 
always had a policy of not allowing our desktops, email and Internet connection 
to be used for personal use at all. That being said we have always turned a 
blind eye to occasional personal use through the day. This has been a problem 
for us. Now we are looking to change the policy to reflect that we do allow 
this type of use.

We want the staff to know that's its ok but we also want them to know what's 
not ok. I was looking to basically say the following. "Some personal Internet 
use is allowed but must not interfere with the performance of work duties and 
responsibilities. Personal Internet use must be restricted to reasonable sites 
and materials such as news or information that might be considered reasonable 
if read as a text publication in an office environment." I'm also going to add 
that downloading files is not allowed unless approved by IT and that this 
includes email attachments from personal email as well. Any thoughts?

James















































~ Finally, powerful endpoint security that ISN'T a resource hog! ~
~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/>  ~

<<inline: image001.jpg>>

<<inline: image002.jpg>>

Reply via email to