From: Micheal Espinola Jr [mailto:michealespin...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 2:34 PM
To: NT System Admin Issues
Subject: Re: script SSID for wireless configs

Technically speaking, its not that it isnt "broadcasted".  It's not
"advertised" in the packets.  This is a good short summary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_set_%28802.11_network%29#Security_o
f_Broadcasting_SSID

--
ME2

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Murray Freeman <mfree...@alanet.org>
wrote:

        So you are telling me that there are tools that can see
something that isn't being broadcast? I'm having trouble with that
concept. If I tturn off the power altogether, can these"tools" see my
wifi? If the broadcast is shut off, how is it broadcasting? Finally, if
these tools can see my SSID, can they also see the unencrypted password?
I can tell you that Inssider tells me a lot about the wifi's it picks up
including it's mac address along with the manufacturer of the wifi, and
the channel in use. But my SSID displays as unknown. Either wifi is
completely unsecure or it isn't. Please explain!

        Murray