Whoops, realized I accidentally replied to you directly. Copying to the list...

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'll add some more thoughts as well,
partially for the sake of playing devil's advocate, but mostly because I'm
interested in this as a discussion topic.

If all I'm really after is a way to get geometry into Nuke from .abc files, a
bundled plugin is easier to deal with from a pipeline standpoint. If the meshes
I'm getting as an artist are sub-par or unusable, it's probably time for a
changing of the guard in the asset department. In the context of the full
pipeline, making Nuke fix topology for me is unfortunately too-little too-late.
Plus, I can't imagine automatic topology corrections come with zero overhead. ;)

Additionally, I'm sure you know how hard it is to make pipeline changes at a
large (or even medium-sized) studio. If I had the ability to decide that
everyone should get the AtomGeoReader and could roll it out myself, it wouldn't
be a big deal. But we have a very unified software distribution system managed
by our sys-admins (who are seemingly always short-handed), so it's not quite
that simple. It's hard enough to get them to roll out new Nuke releases as it
is, so adding another dependency that they have to add in and test just ends up
slowing things down even more.

Now, I know this all probably sounds like I'm ragging on AtomKraft out of
boredom, but I'm trying to cover as many bases as possible. We recently
switched to Alembic for anim exports, so naturally we've been evaluating
options for reading them into Nuke. I wasn't previously aware that the
AtomReadGeo node could be used license-free, so that definitely changes the
landscape for us. Now all I need is some free time to try it out some more... :P

-Nathan