I wrote psdReader which reads 16 and 32 bits psd files with layers and masks.
It's available on Nukepedia. I will update it for 6.3 soon (unfortunately I
didn't have time to do it so far...).
In general: there is not a bug or weirdness actually. Information about layers
and masks in 16bit and newer psd files are intentionally hidden to avoid
compatibility issues with software, which can't parse it correctly.
8bit psd files uses RLE compression for layers while 16 and 32 bit uses zip
compression with custom prediction algorithms (sometimes zip without
prediction, and sometimes- in case of small files- without compression at all).
Remember that psd is closed, constantly evolving format so It's kind of moving
target :)

Best