A write node trick I use a lot for things like making proxy sizes or just
conversion putting something like this:

[ string map {.exr _p2.exr} [value [topnode].file] ]

in the file parameter in the write node.

It looks at the topnode (hopefully a read)  and gets the value of the file
parameter from it and then does a string substitution so it doesn't write over
it and you can rename.  This just saves writing a python function to change the
string, but is fairly simplistic.