The main principle I teach is to understand the tool/ methodologies so that the
user can make an intelligent decision based on a full understanding.
A list of do's and dont's will always fall foul of exceptions and in the end
only leads to parrot fashion learning.

An example 'never composite an unpremultiplied image' or 'only composite a
premultiplied image' *which ever it was...

well
1) you can - a keymix expects an unpremultiplied image. The matte tool is there
for that purpose too.
Why not anyway? what would be the tell tale signs of compositing an image with
premult set wrong? (light edges, dark edges etc..., some of which aren't even
premult issues anyway)
What if you are applying any filtering to an image (translate of 0.5 pixels for
example, let alone blur etc...), what would happen if this wasn't premultiplied?
What happens if you colour correct a premultiplied image? What would you look
out for?

"Always check your edges for premult artifacts" would be the only guide I would
suggest here. The artifacts will always depend on a number of mistakes, subtle
or blatant and instilling the need to check this the important thing. Fixing
the cause(s) requires an understanding of why.
'Never use explicit paths in read nodes', simply depends on your setup and
pipeline. A well set up pipeline/ network and this shouldn't be an issue
(hasn't been for me in 15 years)

etc...

Howard

 out details that I think are best covered by the user guide.